If you are planning a boat trip for your next vacation, either for the day or a couple of days, it is vital to plan what to do or take on the trip and choose fun activities. It can be a hassle if you don’t adequately plan your excursion, especially with friends or family. Read the following guide to have a safe boat trip:
Make Your Boating Safe With These Tips
Everyone’s safety is essential, so carrying enough safety vests with you, even extra ones is a must. Make sure they are in good condition and in working order.
Know the Regulations
These fundamental rules will help you stay safe and avoid collisions, including:
- Knowing who to yield to and when to yield to
- Identifying and obeying navigation marks, lights, and sounds.
- Traveling at a safe speed and keeping a safe distance between your vessel and other people, vessels, and objects.
- Staying under the legal limit for alcohol
Get Your Family Involved
Be sure to involve your family in the trip and prepare them for any emergency, especially the younger ones. Although traveling on a boat is not very risky, it is always essential to have a safety guide. Although the risk of boating is minimal, keep in mind that taking on board family members who are too sensitive to the sun, who get sick from the tide movement, or toddlers should always care for injuries or accidents.
Plan the Boating Activities
In addition to organizing all the safety accessories and protocols, it is crucial to know the itinerary of the boat trip and enjoy them as you should. Without a plan, there could be a lack of organization of time and supplies.
Pack Everything You Need
- First-aid kit that contains an anti-seasickness medication
- Lip balm
- Take any necessary medications
- Hat (one that won’t blow off is ideal)
- Light shirt or jacket with long sleeves
- Polarized sunglasses
- Water and snack food
- Any needed fishing gear and chum kits
- Insect repellent.
Have a Safe & Fun Boat Trip
The best family-friendly boat rental you find is in Lone Star Marina. We provide different “daycation” packages for you and your family to have safe boat trips. The team of Lone Star Marina will make sure your boat is properly and regularly maintained, has the proper safety gear on board, and has a motor that has sufficient fuel. Also, with life jackets, our rental crew will conduct a vessel briefing.